Who We Are
- Interdisciplinary: We draw from experts in different fields and disciplines—including theology, sociology, psychology, ministry, and education.
- Ecumenical: We bring a variety of Christian traditions and interfaith perspectives to our shared work.
- Collaborative: We gather researchers and practitioners to work together on important issues facing today’s communities of faith.
We currently have four Seminars:
- Vocation and Faith in the Professions
- Vocation across the Lifespan
- Interfaith Perspectives on Vocation
- Integration in Theological Education
Generously funded by a grant from the Lilly Endowment, Inc., the Seminars are a project of the Collegeville Institute, located at Saint John’s University in Collegeville, Minnesota.
What We Do
Currently our resources include:
- Called to Life and Called to Work small group programs on calling for congregations
- Lives Explored video storytelling series on vocation
- Articles on vocation from Bearings Online
- Several books, including:
- Calling All Years Good: Christian Vocation throughout Life’s Seasons, Kathleen A. Cahalan and Bonnie J. Miller-McLemore, eds. (Eerdmans, forthcoming 2017)
- To Bless Our Callings: Prayers, Poems, and Hymns to Celebrate Vocation, Laura Kelly Fanucci (Wipf & Stock, forthcoming 2017)
- The Stories We Live: Finding God’s Calling All around Us, Kathleen A. Cahalan (Eerdmans, 2017)
- Integrating Work in Theological Education, Kathleen A. Cahalan, Edward Foley, and Gordon S. Mikoski, eds. (Pickwick Publications, 2017)
- Calling in Today’s World: Voices from Eight Faith Perspectives, Kathleen A. Cahalan and Douglas J. Schuurman, eds. (Eerdmans, 2016)
- Christian Practical Wisdom: What It Is, Why It Matters, Dorothy C. Bass, Kathleen A. Cahalan, Bonnie J. Miller-McLemore, James R. Nieman, and Christian B. Scharen (Eerdmans, 2016)
- Living Your Discipleship: 7 Ways to Express Your Deepest Calling, Kathleen A. Cahalan and Laura Kelly Fanucci (23rd Publications, 2015)
Kathleen A. Cahalan is Director of the Collegeville Institute Seminars and Professor of Theology at Saint John’s University School of Theology and Seminary in Collegeville, Minnesota. She is the author of several books, most recently, Opening the Field of Practical Theology, eds. Kathleen A. Cahalan and Gordon Mikoski (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2014) and Living Your Discipleship: Seven Ways to Express Your Deepest Calling with Laura Kelly Fanucci (Twenty-Third Publications, 2015). Forthcoming publications include Call It What It Is (2016), Calling all Years Good, edited with Bonnie Miller-McLemore (2016), Christian Practical Wisdom, with Dorothy C. Bass, Bonnie Miller-McLemore, James Nieman, and Christian Scharen (Wm B. Eerdmans, 2016).
Laura Kelly Fanucci is Research Associate with the Collegeville Institute Seminars. She received her Master of Divinity from Saint John’s School of Theology and Seminary and her Bachelor of Arts from the University of Notre Dame. Fanucci is the author of Everyday Sacrament: The Messy Grace of Parenting (Liturgical Press, 2014), winner of a 2015 Catholic Press Association Award, and Living Your Discipleship: Seven Ways to Express Your Deepest Calling with Kathleen A. Cahalan (Twenty-Third Publications, 2015). Laura and her husband Franco are the parents of three sons.
We welcome your questions and comments at firstname.lastname@example.org.